Saturday, 5 February 2011

A Wonderful Weekend With Plenty Managed And A Number Of Appealing Questions Arising

By Paul Rawnsley


Off we go for a new week following a marvellous break which was greatly enjoyable, none of which had anything to do with angling. On Friday evening I went into Birmingham, not something I would normally do as I get bewildered in cities being very much the out of town chap, but I was on a mission to see Big Country at the O2 Academy. The concert was marvellous, with Mike Peters standing in for the late, great Stuart Adamson and Bruce Watson's lad Jamie strumming 2nd guitar.

I really hope that a live album will follow the completion of the tour when the second outing completes in April as it will go straight onto the iPod on my iPhone. Which brings me to my query for the morning, is the MP3 player an acceptable part of the up to date
fishing tackle? I do not know what the attitude is in modern fishing protocol, but I think that such a solitary activity will ultimately mean that plugging in the iPod is a keen temptation for many. But if pegs are placed by the water at fairly close proximity, the last thing the neighbours want when they are angling is the tch tch tch tch etc from the adjacent swim if they tend not to have their own sounds.

I cannot say for certain what my preference might be. I love my music, my taste tends to span from Tupac to Tchaikovsky. I do not really get much time to use my iPod as a rule, but I also have always seen fishing to be something to be performed quietly to give time by oneself to chill out and be alone but with an interest that isn't too strenuous. So do I want to put my personal stereo in with my fishing tackle? It's a tricky one.

On Saturday I went back to Birmingham, this time with the family as we fancied going into the urban experience for something of a change. I hadn't been in since the city centre was rebuilt although I did go once during the building and got so terribly lost that I never went back. But I was really impressed, we went around the Bull Ring and Selfridges, though the issue is that it is, as always in shopping centres, the exact same faces of shops as you get everywhere else. It is a great sadness that specialist outlets don't get a look in. Has anybody ever tried to set up a chain of fishing tackle shops? I do remember that there was a very smart looking music place (by which I mean a place for people playing music rather than another HMV) but that did not last long. Maybe it's the nature of the expert retailer that they need to be found in corners and backstreets and have that local knowledge and custom rather than a more open location or presence in shopping centres and precincts.

I think it's a pity because the dedicated shop for things such as fishing tackle or music tend to be operated by the devotee and will never make the owners well off (and I freely admit that in the majority of cases they have no desire to be so), but why can't someone make a very general fishing tackle chain work and attract more people to the hobby as a result? I know that many will rile and say that a big chain will put the true local specialist down the drain, but I don't agree since when someone decides to come into the activity, gets their first set of fishing tackle and a feel that they want to continue, the experts will then come into their own. Also, owners of shopping arcades such as Westfield may not be too keen on one of their outlets being a breeding ground for maggots and other live bait so again, the experts will get the business.

It was wonderful, another chance to see my favourite band of all time, a day out with the family and a quiet Sunday at home makes for the idyllic weekend.

20110110



No comments:

Post a Comment