When I was a youth, getting replacement fishing tackle wasn't easy. I grew up in a Surrey village, and the high street did not contain a shop specialising in fishing supplies. There was a small department store which had a little sports section which had a cupboard containing a small selection of floats, line and the occasional rod and reel, but that was about it. There was nowhere to get live bait from, and my parents drew a very strong line at trying to grow my own maggots and my dad wasn't keen on the garden being excavated in a search for worms.
In fact, if ever I wanted to get new equipment to go angling with, I had to go into Guildford which was a 30 minute bus ride each way (and costly to a lad on restricted pocket money who was not allowed a paper round) go to the country sports retailer on the high street. Naturally there was the windfall that you could get a few pints of maggots while there to take angling when I got home, and there was the probability of getting back some of the damage by flogging a few handfuls to chums at the waterside who all suffered the identical problem. But of course, even with an early start, it would be very doubtful that it would be possible to get down to the fishery much before the early afternoon, which meant that time would be short and you very often just ended up bunging the precious live-bait into the water as you packed away. The consequences of them dying and reeking out the downstairs would have been severe.
It would have been superb growing up where I live now. Here, there are a number of good outlets for fishing tackle close by, certainly only a short bike ride, there are plenty of canals and lakes to fish and for an great day out, the River Severn is near enough to get to in a satisfactorily quick time with the bonus that if you end up at the right place you can be angling and see the steam trains on the Severn Valley Railway puffing up and down the line between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster.
But even if I was living in Cranleigh, the internet would mean that I could purchase any fishing tackle I chose and have it delivered, and I have found a website that will send all sorts of live-bait including maggots in what I would trust would be very strong packaging. I can't imagine the Royal Mail being too pleased at bags of maggots splitting and emptying all over the insides of mailbags and people's post! So feeling good about one's fishing tackle before setting out for a day's fishing would be easy and anyone would feel like a proper angler under those circumstances.
This is all fine and dandy. I feel happy that when I do begin angling again in the next few weeks, I will be able to buy all I need with little difficulty from a local retailer which wasn't an option I had as a youth, but if I was at that age again, it's super to know that if I wanted, I could now get all the fishing tackle I could not have then. Anything that makes access to the things you enjoy easier has to be a good thing.
20110111
In fact, if ever I wanted to get new equipment to go angling with, I had to go into Guildford which was a 30 minute bus ride each way (and costly to a lad on restricted pocket money who was not allowed a paper round) go to the country sports retailer on the high street. Naturally there was the windfall that you could get a few pints of maggots while there to take angling when I got home, and there was the probability of getting back some of the damage by flogging a few handfuls to chums at the waterside who all suffered the identical problem. But of course, even with an early start, it would be very doubtful that it would be possible to get down to the fishery much before the early afternoon, which meant that time would be short and you very often just ended up bunging the precious live-bait into the water as you packed away. The consequences of them dying and reeking out the downstairs would have been severe.
It would have been superb growing up where I live now. Here, there are a number of good outlets for fishing tackle close by, certainly only a short bike ride, there are plenty of canals and lakes to fish and for an great day out, the River Severn is near enough to get to in a satisfactorily quick time with the bonus that if you end up at the right place you can be angling and see the steam trains on the Severn Valley Railway puffing up and down the line between Bridgnorth and Kidderminster.
But even if I was living in Cranleigh, the internet would mean that I could purchase any fishing tackle I chose and have it delivered, and I have found a website that will send all sorts of live-bait including maggots in what I would trust would be very strong packaging. I can't imagine the Royal Mail being too pleased at bags of maggots splitting and emptying all over the insides of mailbags and people's post! So feeling good about one's fishing tackle before setting out for a day's fishing would be easy and anyone would feel like a proper angler under those circumstances.
This is all fine and dandy. I feel happy that when I do begin angling again in the next few weeks, I will be able to buy all I need with little difficulty from a local retailer which wasn't an option I had as a youth, but if I was at that age again, it's super to know that if I wanted, I could now get all the fishing tackle I could not have then. Anything that makes access to the things you enjoy easier has to be a good thing.
20110111
About the Author:
For all your fishing needs and the advantages it can bring, visit The Internet Fishing Shop
No comments:
Post a Comment