Last night I was flicking with some disinterest through the catalogue offered by a well known High Street shop and I fell across the pages advertising fishing tackle. I was really completely stunned by some of the deals detailed on combinations of gear, mostly directed at those interested in starting fishing.
It was very different to what was offered when I was a youngster. Then, the comparable place to go to was Woolworths, to choose from the Winfield label which was, frankly, poor. They used to come apart rather fast but the good thing was that by the time they did, one was ready to get proper bait and tackle anyway, or you had decided to stop angling anyway.
I have little doubt that the bait and tackle sets that the catalogue shop have are of rather ordinary quality, which is of course perfect for the starter. Things like float sets will possibly last for a very long time and be useful for any tackle dangler needing to replace misplaced bait and tackle, but for dads or grandfathers wanting to introduce junior family members to the enjoyment of angling, these kits are perfect.
There is also a psychological benefit to be found in maintaining the keenness of the recently inspired angler, which is that, once they decide to have a go and find mates who are also keen, to go off for the canalside with a complete set of fishing tackle will gather complimentary comments all round and engender a feeling of wellbeing which will be constantly associated with fishing.
Of course there will need to be lots of fatherly teaching first in order to make certain that he or she knows how to set up the bait and tackle with some ability before letting them to set out on their own exploits. I well remember my initial trip out, which was an inter-troop angling match with the scouts. I had only been out a number of times with my uncle and ended up getting into the most terrible muddles and forsaking most of my fishing line as a result. It was most maddening as I spent almost the entire afternoon trying to unpick a parade of cats' cradles, then getting aggravated and cutting the line and beginning again.
This is not the way to hearten unsullied blood into the sport. angling can be a intricate process, and for newcomer needs to be trained how to properly setup the bait and tackle before getting out on their own.
And for this purpose, the sort of fishing tackle sets are perfect to give the desire to learn the finer details.
20110221
It was very different to what was offered when I was a youngster. Then, the comparable place to go to was Woolworths, to choose from the Winfield label which was, frankly, poor. They used to come apart rather fast but the good thing was that by the time they did, one was ready to get proper bait and tackle anyway, or you had decided to stop angling anyway.
I have little doubt that the bait and tackle sets that the catalogue shop have are of rather ordinary quality, which is of course perfect for the starter. Things like float sets will possibly last for a very long time and be useful for any tackle dangler needing to replace misplaced bait and tackle, but for dads or grandfathers wanting to introduce junior family members to the enjoyment of angling, these kits are perfect.
There is also a psychological benefit to be found in maintaining the keenness of the recently inspired angler, which is that, once they decide to have a go and find mates who are also keen, to go off for the canalside with a complete set of fishing tackle will gather complimentary comments all round and engender a feeling of wellbeing which will be constantly associated with fishing.
Of course there will need to be lots of fatherly teaching first in order to make certain that he or she knows how to set up the bait and tackle with some ability before letting them to set out on their own exploits. I well remember my initial trip out, which was an inter-troop angling match with the scouts. I had only been out a number of times with my uncle and ended up getting into the most terrible muddles and forsaking most of my fishing line as a result. It was most maddening as I spent almost the entire afternoon trying to unpick a parade of cats' cradles, then getting aggravated and cutting the line and beginning again.
This is not the way to hearten unsullied blood into the sport. angling can be a intricate process, and for newcomer needs to be trained how to properly setup the bait and tackle before getting out on their own.
And for this purpose, the sort of fishing tackle sets are perfect to give the desire to learn the finer details.
20110221
No comments:
Post a Comment