Say it gently and warily - Spring may be taking it's boots off! I dropped my son to nursery this morning and in the flowerbeds along the road there were definitely crocuses in flower. Also, daffodils seem to be pushing their way into the fresh air as well as the bluebells at the bottom of my front garden. It's so , at last after the grinding foulness of winter since xmas, it appears as as if there is an excuse to be cheerful. And, more to the point, the time that I go back to the waterside and go fishing may actually be here.
I've never been ashamed to point out that I'm, and always was, a fair-weather maggot drowner. And particularly as I haven't been fishing in a very long time, having got the urge to resume there was no possibility I was going to head out for an experimental visit when I would have had to wrap up like Ernest Shackleton and scare myself forever. Also, I wouldn't have wanted to shell out much money on bait and tackle if I wasn't sure that I was going to make a fair fist of it first.
It'd make sense for me to head out to the waterside with a mate, go halves on bait and tackle and I hope be permitted to use a guest ticket before I shell out on joining the Birmingham Angling Association which is what is required to be qualified to go angling on the canals around here, as well as the rod licence that I will require from the Department of Environment. The 2 of those will be the wrong side of 50 before anything else, so I have to be sure that I will still be able to enjoy it.
A thing I am going to enjoy is dawdling about bait and tackle outlets. I adore small, local, dedicated shops who have the local expertise, who can guide intelligently from first hand knowledge and be the primary source of news about angling in the area regarding what is being caught and where.
So, if it is true that Spring is practically with us (and it is a marvellous clear day today too) then I need to do what I have been promising myself for ages, arrange a trip with my chum, get to the fishing shop and go angling.
20110216
I've never been ashamed to point out that I'm, and always was, a fair-weather maggot drowner. And particularly as I haven't been fishing in a very long time, having got the urge to resume there was no possibility I was going to head out for an experimental visit when I would have had to wrap up like Ernest Shackleton and scare myself forever. Also, I wouldn't have wanted to shell out much money on bait and tackle if I wasn't sure that I was going to make a fair fist of it first.
It'd make sense for me to head out to the waterside with a mate, go halves on bait and tackle and I hope be permitted to use a guest ticket before I shell out on joining the Birmingham Angling Association which is what is required to be qualified to go angling on the canals around here, as well as the rod licence that I will require from the Department of Environment. The 2 of those will be the wrong side of 50 before anything else, so I have to be sure that I will still be able to enjoy it.
A thing I am going to enjoy is dawdling about bait and tackle outlets. I adore small, local, dedicated shops who have the local expertise, who can guide intelligently from first hand knowledge and be the primary source of news about angling in the area regarding what is being caught and where.
So, if it is true that Spring is practically with us (and it is a marvellous clear day today too) then I need to do what I have been promising myself for ages, arrange a trip with my chum, get to the fishing shop and go angling.
20110216
No comments:
Post a Comment